[LAU] Need simple help measuring frequencies

Steve Fosdick lists at pelvoux.nildram.co.uk
Fri Jan 11 04:55:25 EST 2008

On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 21:42:28 -0200
"robert lazarski" <robertlazarski at gmail.com> wrote:

> I converted the bass track off a midi file to ogg, muting out all the
> other tracks via timidity. The purpose being I'm about to buy some
> monitor speakers and I'm deciding what low frequency range is
> acceptable. I tried audacity and analyze-->plot spectrum, but I can't
> get that to show me what the low end is doing (I'm sure I'm missing
> something simple).

Interesting.  I tried this too and, as you say, there is very little resolution in the graph at the low end of the spectrum.

> Anyways, here's a link. What frequency is that bass around? How can I
> measure that?

What I tried was importing the track into ardour, so I could play it with output going to jack, starting jamin, then playing the track and watching the HDEQ spectrum plot.  From that the lowest peak seems to be around 50Hz.

As you have the original MIDI file you could so a quick sanity check of this as that frequency would mean that the lowest note in that bass part should be G1 or Ab1.  There is a table of note to frequency values at: http://www.phy.mtu.edu/~suits/notefreqs.html

HTH,
Steve.