[LAU] Need to convert 24bit/48000 to 16bit/44100 stereo on linux

Fons Adriaensen fons at kokkinizita.net
Mon Jan 14 10:41:13 EST 2008

On Mon, Jan 14, 2008 at 06:04:51PM +0100, Esben Stien wrote:

> plutek-infinity <plutek at infinity.net> writes:
>
> > is sndfile-convert currently the highest-quality SR convertor
> > available
>
> Yes; that's the general consensus in the free software domain, but I
> haven't checked out fons' new resampler. He's a wicked guy, so it
> might be better;).

Wicked ? Sounds rather Harry Potterish...

I wrote libzita-resample mainly for high-quiality real-time SRC
of multichannel audio, and it's a compromise between 'numerical'
quality and CPU load. But so far nobody has been able to hear the
difference with a no-compromise algorithm in a series of listening
tests (all audio experts and musicians).

The current API implements the trade-off, but internally there are
more free parameters, and it can be extended easily if necessary.
There's some discussion about this in the docs that come with the
library.

--
FA

Parma, Italia