[LAU] Need to convert 24bit/48000 to 16bit/44100 stereo on linux

david gnome at hawaii.rr.com
Mon Jan 14 15:44:34 EST 2008

Arnold Krille wrote:
> Am Montag, 14. Januar 2008 schrieb Fons Adriaensen:
>> If this is true, it means we are being deprived of good recorded
>> sound not because the technology isn't performing, but just
>> because bad sound sells better.
>
> You get the same answer out of any serious discussion about compression and
> mastering: Bad loud music sells better than for example an unplugged concert
> recorded with just a stereo-mic (or some ambisonic-setup:)...

Compressed music avoids the radio station nightmare of quiet passages -
listeners might think something's wrong with the station and switch to
another station. Any "selling better" effect is only because radio
stations simply refuse to play uncompressed music.

--
David
gnome at hawaii.rr.com
authenticity, honesty, community