[LAU] Maintaining MIDI Connections

Miguel M therevoltingx at gmail.com
Wed Jan 23 13:54:37 EST 2008

> > 2. is true for older jack, however newer versions and the 0.109 release
> > also support jack midi where the big difference is, as far as I
> > understand it, that jack midi has the same time source as jack audio,
> > whereas alsa midi and jack audio have different time sources.

Oh, ok, to it's the time source.  I'm guessing it would be better to for
applications to use the native jack midi that way the transport and MMC
time can be in sync.  I wonder if there are timing issues when using
a2jmidid, or if it's better to use the -X seq option as suggested.
Oh well, it's time to experiment a bit.

BTW, aconnect is what I'm looking for.  I'll wrap if in a script to
re(a)connect the midi connections if an application were to crash.

Thanks for the info,
Miguel

On Wed, 2008-01-23 at 18:58 +0100, Lars Luthman wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-01-23 at 14:52 +0100, hollunder at gmx.at wrote:
> > On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 11:19:29 +0100
> > jeremaja niko <jeremaja.niko at googlemail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > hi m
> > >
> > > 1. i think you need "aconnectgui" or "kaconnect", very simple tools
> > > to route your midi connections. there is "aconnect" as a command line
> > > tool.
> > >
> > > 2. as far as i know there is no difference between jack midi and alsa
> > > midi - jack is using alsa midi.
> > >
> > > hope this helps
> > > nikola
> >
> > 2. is true for older jack, however newer versions and the 0.109 release
> > also support jack midi where the big difference is, as far as I
> > understand it, that jack midi has the same time source as jack audio,
> > whereas alsa midi and jack audio have different time sources.
> >
> > They are not compatible by default, recent qjackctl and patchage can
> > manage both. There are little apps like a2jmidid that allow you to
> > connect alsa midi to jack midi ports.
>
> They _are_ compatible by default (to some degree) - just start jackd
> 0.109 with the '-X seq' command line parameters to the ALSA driver and
> all ALSA sequencer ports will appear as JACK MIDI ports.
>

> --ll
My Website:
http://eckz.zapto.org/eckz/