[LAU] [OT] creative commons non-commercial licensed music - ask for advice

Simon Edwards simon at simonzone.com
Thu Jan 24 16:15:22 EST 2008


Cesare Marilungo wrote:
> I received an email from a film producer (based in Los Angeles, probably 
> an indie studio) in which he wrote that the director of a movie they're 
> just finishing (they're at post-production stage) is interested in using 
> two tracks of mine, 'Balloon' (http://www.cesaremarilungo.com/media) and 
> 'As we grow older' (http://www.cesaremarilungo.com/media/the-moon-ep).

good for you!

This situation is quite simple really. They need permission to use your 
copyrighted work. They can't use the CC licensed version because the 
terms don't cover them. The CC licensed version is therefore no longer 
in the picture, and this transaction has nothing to do with the CC 
people either for that matter.

So what is left over is just the simple and common case of someone (film 
maker) wanting to use a copyrighted work and having to get permission or 
some kind of license / contract with the copyright holder (you). You can 
just grant permission if you like, or negotiate some kind of agreement 
possibly involving royalties and/or some other conditions.

Go talk to a lawyer for the details. This is bread and butter stuff for 


Simon Edwards             | KDE-NL, Guidance tools, Guarddog Firewall
simon at simonzone.com       | http://www.simonzone.com/software/
Nijmegen, The Netherlands | "ZooTV? You made the right choice."

More information about the Linux-audio-user mailing list