[LAU] Convoluted Leslie?

thomas fisher studio1 at commspeed.net
Sat Jan 26 00:23:18 EST 2008

On Friday 25 January 2008 19:08:11 Ken Restivo wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 24, 2008 at 02:14:13PM +0100, Fons Adriaensen wrote:
> > On Thu, Jan 24, 2008 at 01:46:00PM +0100, hollunder at gmx.at wrote:

> > > Hi Ken,
> > > I don't own a Leslie but I know where to find quite some of them. I
> > > might do some sampling there and could probably do that as well.
> > > Problem is that I don't know how to do that, I'd need a lot more
> > > information.
> >
> > I guess that the FR of the cabinet will not be constant but
> > depend on the 'phase' of the Leslie effect, i.e. the position
> > of the rotor. In other words, it's not only a delay modulation
> > but also a 'filtering' modulation.
> >
> > One way to get a 'near to perfect' Leslie sound and effect
> > at the same time would be to measure the IR at say 30 positions
> > of the rotor, then use 30 convolutions and both shift and xfade
> > them in the correct sequence and frequency. Probably not easy
> > but it can be done.
> >
> > If the Leslie effect is already done in softwared, you'd need some
> > 'average' IR of the cabinet to add 'the wood'.
> >
> > Just drop me a line if you need help in using Aliki to capture
> > the IR(s).
>
> That's exactly what I want. Wood (huh-huh. he said... wood).
>
> I'm very happy with the Leslie sim in AZR3. Only thing that sounds missing
> to me is the resonance of the wood cabinet.
>
> -ken
  From what I have heard from instrument makers is that there is much more
than just "wood" involved. For example fine straight grain spruce is very
much sought for. However there is a whole list of grades of spruce. Also
certain species of white pine, old growth redwood. About eight years ago in
northern California I met this fellow that had been a part of a very small
specialty company that cut blanks for instrument tops from salvaged old
growth redwood. He had about four or five grades, of which he demonstrated to
me by holding the blank a certain way and thumped it. Some of the highest
grades rang like Tibetan bell! And I would imagine the list gets much longer
when one considers the woods of the world.  One retired concert violinist I
knew, would take his instruments apart and would shave whispers off here and
there. I am a wood worker but I am no authority on this subject and am just
sharing the very little that I do know.
Hope this Helps
Tom