[LAU] Horrible number of xruns in Jack (Emu card)

Darren Landrum darren.landrum at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jan 28 18:42:08 EST 2008

Darren Landrum wrote:
> I hope someone can help me with this.
>
> I have:
>
> Athlon64 Dual-Core 6000+
> 2GB DDR3 RAM, running dual-channel
> 3 x SATA hard disks
> Emu 1212m sound card
> Ubuntu Studio 7.10 (Gutsy, I think)
>
> Trying to run JACK at 44.1khz, at a 128 sample buffer I'm getting on the
> order of 50-60 xruns a second. Even at a 4096 sample buffer, I was
> getting one xrun every 2 seconds. I would think this setup should be
> able to handle a 64 sample buffer without any trouble.
>
> The one caveat is I did have to compile the latest stable ALSA from
> scratch, so that my sound card would work. Could it be related to the
> still-beta driver for my Emu card? Or maybe I need to recompile ALSA
> with some options?
>
> Thank you for any help.

I talked to my programming prof about this, and he thinks the fact that
I'm using a 64-bit OS might have a lot to do with it. I'll try
installing the 32-bit version of Ubuntu Studio at some point this week
and see if that changes anything (I keep all of my data on a separate
partition, so it's not a huge operation for me).

-- Darren