[LAU] SuperCollider goes wrong with jackd @ UbuntuHardyAlpha3

Holger Ballweg holger.ballweg at gmail.com
Wed Jan 30 10:44:46 EST 2008

Am Mittwoch, den 30.01.2008, 21:46 +0900 schrieb '2+:
> excuse me ... forgot to fill out the subject ..
>
> did a dist-upgrade for UbuntuHardyAlpha3 last weekend
> and the RT kernel became a bit older than the generic one
> was using the system as CUI but since the setup for awesome went okay
> also installed emacs-snapshot-nox and supercollider
> even though ChucK works fine with jackd
> when i do
> emacs -sclang
> and try to boot the server
> it returns
>
> JackDriver couldn't connect alsa_pcm:capture_1 to SuperCollider:in_1
> JackDriver couldn't connect alsa_pcm:capture_2 to SuperCollider:in_2
> JackDriver couldn't connect SuperCollider:out_1 to alsa_pcm:playback_1
> JackDriver couldn't connect SuperCollider:out_2 to alsa_pcm:playback_2

I had this problem, too...
Seems like jackd changed the default naming scheme of the out- and
inputs. It's now system:capture_1/2 and system:playback_1/2 instead of
the old sound-architecture-specific alsa_pcm/oss/etc.
Sc assumes the old naming so you could just set the connections yourself
using qjackctl or you could add this or create ~/.sclang.sc with

	"SC_JACK_DEFAULT_INPUTS".setenv(
		"system:capture_1,"
		"system:capture_2"
	);

	"SC_JACK_DEFAULT_OUTPUTS".setenv(
		"system:playback_1,"
		"system:playback_2"
	);

> i wonder what is wrong
>
> i have to always install the brand new RT kernel manually?
>
> snapshot version of emacs-nox is not okay?
> (purging that version and installing 21 or 22 results into no
> emacs-nox existing)
>
> HardyAlpha3 seems to have pulseaudio enabled as default
> this has something to do with the error?

Yes, this could also be possible, thus turning alsa_pcm to
pulseaudio_pcm or something like this (assuming ubuntu uses a jack
version prior to the naming scheme change)
then just change sclang.sc to something according...

HTH,

hb