[LAU] Host 128.173.232.121 is unreachable via http or smtp ports

MarcOChapeau marco at marcochapeau.org
Tue Jul 1 16:43:17 EDT 2008

On Tue, 1 Jul 2008 11:00:10 -0400, "Ivica Ico Bukvic" <ico at vt.edu> wrote:
> Thanks Ron for the info, we are already aware of this issue and are
working
> on it as fast as we can. As unlikely as it sounds, it appears we've had a
> major thunderstorm that has knocked out several buildings on campus,
> including the building hosting our server. Unfortunately, I've been out
of
> the country and unaware of this occurrence until it was brought to my
> attention yesterday. Let me say that this is a very unusual and very much
> unexpected occurrence. That being said, based on this unfortunate
> development we will look to invest into better UPS asap to minimize any
> potential downtime in the future.
>
> As of 4:58PM the server should be back up and running.

I guess we can all thank Ico for handling this remotely (as I understood
things, from Europe!), and thanks to the people at VT for their help. I
checked the server, which seems to be just fine. Things could have been a
lot worse :-p

-- Marc-Olivier Barre --
 --- MarcO'Chapeau ----
- www.marcochapeau.org -