[LAU] Large live recrodings ?

Kjetil S. Matheussen k.s.matheussen at notam02.no
Wed Jul 2 09:29:03 EDT 2008

Arnold Krille:
> Am Mittwoch, 2. Juli 2008 schrieb Kjetil S. Matheussen:
> > I think that is complete overkill. I just tried recorded 128 channels of
> > 32bit/44100hz at once, without problem. And my machine is 5 years old
> > 2Gz barebone, using only a single PATA ide disk.
> > This was using jack_capture, and only recording silence (ie. non-connected
> > jack ports). Maybe the silence makes a difference.(?)
>
> For jack and ardour/timemachine/jack_capture it is completely irrelevant if
> the double-numbers contain 0.0, 1E-<incredibly high> or some
> (pseudo-)random
> values between -1 and 1. Its still sizeof(double) that is saved to disk for
> each channel and sample...
>
> It only makes a difference when using compressed formats like mp3, flac, etc.
> But ardour doesn't support this (yet).

You can't just bombastically spew out things like that without
backing it up with some sort of facts or at least arguments.
Since the buffers isn't written to by anything other than zeros,
there could theoretically be a smaller chance of cache misses. Whether it
makes a difference is a different story.

(BTW, sizeof(double) is 64 bits, while data written by
ardour/timemachine/jack_capture is 32 bits.)