[LAU] iso image from toc?

pete shorthose zenadsl6252 at zen.co.uk
Wed Jul 2 19:03:17 EDT 2008

On Wed, 02 Jul 2008 15:33:07 -0400
frank pirrone <frankpirrone at gmail.com> wrote:

> plutek-infinity wrote:
> >> Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2008 08:34:39 +0100
> >> From: pete shorthose <zenadsl6252 at zen.co.uk>

> >> probably a sematic issue but an iso (iso 9660) is a data cd filesystem standard and audio cds have no filesystem.
> >> if you mean some sort of raw disk image (and many people do mean this when they refer to an iso)
> >> then you're best bet may be cdrdao which ships with one of the most popular windows ripper (EAC) and
> >> is widely available on linux at least.
> >>
> >> you would probably want to master your cd then rip it to toc/bin.
> >> cdrdao has numerous options for read modes and cdtext extraction etc.
> >> there are linux tools to convert between cue and toc too, but they are not
> >> comprehensive iirc.
> >> windows users will probably prefer a cue/bin (CDRwin/EAC etc) though.
> >>
> >> i'm not aware of any single file image (no separate toc) and certainly not
> >> one that is widely supported on multiple platforms but i tend to stay in my
> >> own corner of linuxland so that's not saying much.
> >>
> >> an alternative would be to distribute the wave files or monolithic wave
> >> with a toc/cue. most burning softs can handle that kind of thing and the cdtext could
> >> be included via the toc.
> >
> > thanks, pete! your conclusions pretty much correspond to mine, so it's good to have them confirmed, at least. yes, i thought "iso" really only referred to a specific, non-audio, filesystem, but was hunting for some single file image for audio cd's, much like the actual iso's for other disks. a friend of mine, who uses macs, says there's a dmg file which is a complete single-file image of a cd, used in protools. perhaps that is proprietary.
> >
> > cheers!
> >

> Peter,
>
> Have you taken a look at using dd to simply create a disc image of the CD?

iirc, you need to use special ioctls to read cd audio data and so dd doesn't work at
all for audio cds.

whilst we are on the subject though, a cdripping discussion came up a while ago WRT
accurate ripping of cds. at the time, i tried ripping an audio cd with cdrdao but
using the raw modes to see if the latent hardware r/w offsets were ignored in that
case. when i burned and ripped the resulting cdr back again, the image was indeed correctly aligned.

anyone else noticed this?

cheers,
pete.