[LAU] pretty much frustrated about those rt-kernels!

Crypto crypto at online.de
Fri Jul 4 14:30:26 EDT 2008

Hi,

it might be a question of which distro to use as well.

I have had success with sidux (http://www.sidux.com) which in first place is a
pure debian testing based live linux distribution but can be installed on
harddisk, usb stick etc. without trouble.

And there is a lively irc based chat offering support at most time of the day.

And there is - which is why I respond to You - a realtime kernel that actually
does its job. It can be installed via apt-get from a repository, so no
patching etc. required. Someone was mercyful enough to compile the standard
kernel with all needed RT stuff involved. Browse the support forum and search
for "makke" kernels. He has been updating the RT kernel frequently so You
would not get outdated stuff.

The only drawback so far: there is no *big sigh* 64bit RT kernel. makke wrote
that he had no success or something.

This distribution sidux is running on my laptop right now while I am writing
this. The advantage of sidux over ubuntu is that (as I understand it) some
decicive packages have been adjusted right for use on ubuntu only, so ubuntu
becomes more and more incompatible with genuine debian.

HTH,
Crypto.