[LAU] pretty much frustrated about those rt-kernels!

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Fri Jul 4 15:02:52 EDT 2008

On Fri, Jul 4, 2008 at 11:08 AM, Peter Lutz <peter at gotsomeideas.com> wrote:
>> I'm using now one of musix, but I can't build my nvidia driver on it.
>
> In my experience, nvidia drivers are much worse and harder to get working
> than the realtime kernel -- even the free software ones. I'd imagine that
> specific problem has a lot more to do with those drivers than the rt kernel.

rt-sources, as supported by Ingo, Thomas, Steven, Daniel and others,
has *never* supported non-open source video drivers. You can use them
but real-time performance has never been guaranteed, they say it never
will be guaranteed, and don't bother reporting rt-problems if you use
one. The problem with the closed source drivers is there is no way to
look at the code to guarantee it's written in a real-time safe manner.
Therefore you use them at your own risk in terms of real-time
operation.

- Mark