[LAU] pretty much frustrated about those rt-kernels!

Reuben Martin reuben.m at gmail.com
Fri Jul 4 18:58:01 EDT 2008

Back on Friday 04 July 2008, Mark Knecht was like:
> The question is whether rt-sources, as built from portage using the
> overlay, is based on the vanilla kernel or based on gentoo-sources. I
> believe it's built on the vanilla kernel or else we'd be picking which
> version of the Gentoo kernel we want to add the patch set to. That's
> not what the pro-audio overlay does. It's just patching
> vanilla-sources. (If I'm wrong about this let me know but that's the
> way it started.)

You can apply the rt patchset against both the vanilla or gentoo-sources.
There is very little difference between the gentoo-sources and the vanilla
kernel. The only thing added to gentoo-sources are patches to fix things on
specific architectures (usually solaris) and a couple small insignificant
drivers. That's it.

I personally apply the rt patch set against the gentoo sources. Have for quite
a while. No problems. (You will get two errors when applying the patchset.
Both are trivial crap that doesn't matter. One for a set of brackets which
aren't needed anyway where the framebuffer driver is added on, and another
when it tries to change the name of the kernel which you can change yourself
in the config menu if you want.)

-Reuben