[LAU] Magic?

Rob lau at kudla.org
Sat Jul 5 16:10:18 EDT 2008

On Saturday 05 July 2008 15:32, Nicolai Beuermann wrote:
> is something like this
> http://www.celemony.com/cms/index.php?id=dna&L=0
> imagined or actually realised in linux audio world?

I've heard of pitch correction LADSPA plugins for Linux, but nothing
for any platform that does what this appears to do.  If it works well
with real-world recordings, it'll revolutionize the recording process
much as Autotune did a decade ago.... for better or possibly worse.

Then again, Melodyne has always been a tweakier competitor to Autotune
if I remember correctly, so maybe Antares has something like this up
their sleeve as well.  Also, while Celemony claims "patent pending"
on their polyphonic pitch correction, these guys seem to have done it
first and might have prior art -- I don't know if they've published
their software or if they're maybe even related to Celemony:

http://opihi.cs.uvic.ca/Dafx2007/

So if someone comes up with some kind of free software that slices a
recording up into frequency bands and then does pitch correction
individually on each band (I assume that's roughly how this works,
but I'm sure someone reading this has a better idea), it might not be
a given that Celemony would be able to (successfully) sue.

Rob