[LAU] pretty much frustrated about those rt-kernels!

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Sat Jul 5 21:03:23 EDT 2008

On Sat, Jul 5, 2008 at 4:12 PM, schoappied <schoappied at gmail.com> wrote:
> Mark Knecht wrote:
>> On Sat, Jul 5, 2008 at 8:46 AM, schoappied <schoappied at gmail.com> wrote:
>> <SNIP>
>>
>>> I've read on the debian irc channel that it is not necessary to do a
>>> rt-patch with the newest kernels (.25.10), just set in menu config:
>>>
>>> processor type and features >> preemtible  kernel (low -latency desktop)
>>>
>>> and Timer frequentie to 1000 Hz.
>>>
>>> Can anyone confirm this?
>>>

>> Not at all true. That strategy will give you a good kernel, but it is
>> not a 'real-time' kernel. You're best bet is to use the specific patch
>> set supplied by Ingo and the RT team.
>>
>> Hope this helps,
>> Mark
>>

> whow, Ive spend I think 20 hours to build a kernel but it constantly
> fails.... :( :( :(
>
> I tried everything with help from IRC and documentation, but different
> errors...
>
> for example: http://pastebin.com/m5bc649d
>
> I use a kernel for kernel.org and a rt-patch which fits it...
> I patch the files as described in this howto:
> http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?t=17035&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
>
> I use: make oldconfig (skip the questions with ENTER) and then make xconfig
> And set:
> rocessor type and features> Preemption Mode (Complete Preemption
> (Real-Time))
> Processor type and features>Timer frequency (1000 HZ)
>
> Then:
> $ make-kpkg clean ; export VER=$(date +'%Y%m%d')
> NAMEEXT="-$(hostname)-$(dpkg-architecture -qDEB_HOST_ARCH)"; make-kpkg
> --revision=$VER --append-to-version=$NAMEEXT --rootcmd fakeroot --initrd
> kernel_image kernel_headers
>
> Can it fails because of the new kernel versions I try to build?
> Or do I make errors in making the .config file?

I'm not at all clear what this previous command does. the normal set
of build instructions at this point is very simple

make && make modules_install

Even if that isn't the 'Debian' way, is it possible to build and
install a kernel as the kernel designers intended it or does that not
work on Debian?

Maybe there's another Debian user here who can help you. I'm Gentoo
based and it's pretty straight forward here.

- Mark