[LAU] E-MU 1820M alsa support

Darren Landrum darren.landrum at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jul 7 14:57:51 EDT 2008

Brad Fuller wrote:
> wow, no one has an E-MU 1820? I'm surprised. Maybe I should check the
> -dev group.
> It's between an E-MU 1820 and a Layla3G. Both seem to be about equal in caps.

Well, I have an Emu 1212M, which I guess is the closest you're going to
get. They use the same driver, though, as far as I know, so I might be
able to answer your questions.

In general, how does the 1212M play with ALSA? It does well enough if
all you need is the audio ins and outs. As far as I know, the outputs
are still limited to 16 bits (the inputs can run at 24 bit) because the
driver is not finished yet. I've also been unable to get MIDI in working
(in Ubuntu Studio 64 Hardy Heron), even though I can see the MIDI in
ports from kjackctl. I need to flip back over to Windows and test MIDI
there (where it was working at one time) to make sure it's not a
hardware issue.

I don't know if the guy working on the driver still is, or what progress
he has made since I last checked up on it.

Another issue I run into is the lack of support in the driver for
automatically resampling output (I run the clock at 44.1khz). I have to
make sure the audio software I use is able to support its own output
resampling. This is less big of a deal, as I plan to do all of my
production at 44.1, but I do have the odd mp3 encoded at 48khz for
whatever odd reason. Aqualung has solved this for me, though.

If you have any more specific questions, feel free to fire them off at
me, and I'll do the best I can to answer them.

Regards,
Darren Landrum