[LAU] debian realtime kernel config 2.6.25.8.rt7

Emanuel Rumpf xbran at web.de
Tue Jul 8 15:43:45 EDT 2008

2008/7/8 schoappied <schoappied at gmail.com>:
> About oldconfig and menu config:
>
> When I want to use exactly the same config file as you have (copied that
> .config to the new to build kernel folder)... Should I do oldconfig and/or
> xconfig?

if the config-file matches the kernel version a copy should be enough

as I understand it, oldconfig is only required with a new or modified
kernel-version
i.O. to update it for new config-options.

> or just start to build that kernel? And what if the .config file is
> from a much older kernel?

it doesn't have all the config options then;
I would expect make to fail

> what will happen with the new kernel configure
> options? And when you do make oldconfig.. what should be the answer to the
> ask questions? just hit ENTER or N, y, m ?

with some exeptions m should be ok,
but just hitting enter, without understanding what happens
can blaot/break your kernel config (with incompatible/unrecommended
options etc.)
so it's a good idea to "?" first.
I would expect [enter] to choose a reasonable default, but who knows...

regarding your problem:
I would guess a misconfiguration of your system
( maybe it's grub, maybe fstab, initrd.img, ... )

and btw.: please don't always quote the whole message on reply
just necessary phrases with direct relation.
in general we all know, what has been written before in the discussion-thread...