[LAU] monitor shot, need advice for a new one

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Sun Jul 13 15:24:05 EDT 2008

Hi Dave,
   Congrats on the new purchase.

On Sun, Jul 13, 2008 at 8:14 AM, Dave Phillips <dlphillips at woh.rr.com> wrote:
> Mark Knecht wrote:

>> Dave,
>>   This seems like overreaction on Loki's part to me. My son uses an
>> nice ($250) nvidia graphics agapter, VGA output, to drive him Samsung
>> flatscreen monitor. the picture is great.
>>
>>   I'n sure staying digital is a better way to go, but it's by no
>> means required.
>>

> Hi Mark,
>
> Well, I purchased a Westinghouse L2210NW at Best Buy for ~$270, about as
> good a price as I could get on the Samsung you recommended. I've yet to
> configure it, but it meets the exact same specs you advised for the Samsung,
> so I decided to buy it. So far, so good. The display is *huge*, and I'm
> hoping that a few annoyances wil be cleared up after I fully configure it
> for my nVidia 7600GS.

There are only something like 3 flat panel display manufacturers in
the world so most likely you bought the same screen as what's in the
Samsung.

> I plan to purchase one of those Samsungs for the main room, as soon as the
> cash reserves are up again.
>
> Any suggestions for xorg.conf ? I figure to just let the nVidia configurator
> do its stuff, then I'll tweak as needed.

Not too many. I used xorg.conf for our Samsung 17" and 19" monitors.
My son's 22" is on a Windows only machine so no direct experience with
setting up X on that monitor but I suspect it's probably very straight
forward.

I would suggest that you get out the manual for your new monitor and
find the exact specs - vertical and horizontal sync rates, horizontal
and vertical pixel count, etc., and then approach the X config as a
custom monitor. I've had better luck setting them up that way.

Keep in mind that with flat panel displays there is only one *real*
pixel count. There is no way to change how many pixels are on the
screen. If your monitor is 1620x1280 native then that's all it runs.
When you set a different resolution in xorg.config then software or
hardware has to make a conversion to the native resolution of the
display. This is different than an old style analog monitor that just
changed how fast it painted pixels and could change the real
resolution. Anyway, the reason I bring this up is I find it best to
first set the monitor up using whatever the actual resolution of the
monitor is and try running that resolution for a few days. If you're
happy with it then stick with it as it's the best picture quality and
the lower system overhead.

Whatever you do I'm sure you'll be happy.

> I also bought a 4-slice toaster, but it doesn't run Linux. :(

How 20th century of you... ;-)

> As always, thanks for the help, it is most appreciated here in the
> hinterlands.
>
> Btw, did anyone else happen to read about the Wall Street Journal's
> "interviews" with residents of Findlay OH ? Yep, that's my hometown, and
> yep, this place is filled with knee-jerk reactionaries.

Missed them but I'll go looking. Here is California is all peace, love
and understanding, right? ;-)

Cheers,
Mark