[LAU] What do you use for Vorvis audio? .ogg or .oga?

hollunder at gmx.at hollunder at gmx.at
Sun Jul 13 18:44:08 EDT 2008

On Sun, 13 Jul 2008 18:25:03 -0400
"Cory K." <coryisatm at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi All. I'm Cory. Lead on Ubuntu Studio. 1st post to this list. ;)
>
> I have a pickle of a issue for a little app I'm working on. It takes
> your FLAC collection and converts the entire thing to whatever format
> you want with a couple of simple options.
>
> Anyway, I'm unsure what extension to use for Vorbis audio because .ogg
> is legacy and .oga should be used now. Issue is, going .oga might
> render HW players that haven't updated to be able to use the
> extension.
>
> From: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ogg
>
> "The Xiph.Org Foundation decided to create a new set of file
> extensions and media types to describe different types of content
> such as .oga for audio only files, .ogv for video with or without
> sound (including Theora), and .ogx for applications."
>
> More reference:
> http://wiki.xiph.org/index.php/MIME_Types_and_File_Extensions
>
> To me, the only way to further adoption is to use the extension by
> default. I talked to the oggenc dev and he has no intention of
> using .oga.
>
> So this is all very vexing to me as to which way to go.
>
> Do I use what is supposed to be the new replacement extension for
> Vorbis audio or do I continue to go with respected Xiph devs and
> continue to perpetuate a legacy extension with this little app of
> mine?
>
> -Cory \m/

Hi Cory,
I can't give you an answer but I suggest that you talk to other encoder
devs, like aoyumi, who make the wonderful aoTuV encoder, the guy who
makes the lancer builds and montgomery himself.
A first step could be a visit to the vorbis channel on freenode or a
mail to the vorbis list.

I personally don't think that the extension matters much, without
having talked to anybody knowledgeable I'd go for compatibility.

I'm looking forward to your app, wondering what separates it from apps
like soundconverter and soundkonverter ;)

Best Regards,
	Philipp