[LAU] monitor shot, need advice for a new one

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Sun Jul 13 19:06:25 EDT 2008

On Sun, Jul 13, 2008 at 1:21 PM,  <hollunder at gmx.at> wrote:
> On Sun, 13 Jul 2008 12:24:05 -0700
> "Mark Knecht" <markknecht at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Not too many. I used xorg.conf for our Samsung 17" and 19" monitors.
>> My son's 22" is on a Windows only machine so no direct experience with
>> setting up X on that monitor but I suspect it's probably very straight
>> forward.
>>
>> I would suggest that you get out the manual for your new monitor and
>> find the exact specs - vertical and horizontal sync rates, horizontal
>> and vertical pixel count, etc., and then approach the X config as a
>> custom monitor. I've had better luck setting them up that way.
>>
>> Keep in mind that with flat panel displays there is only one *real*
>> pixel count. There is no way to change how many pixels are on the
>> screen. If your monitor is 1620x1280 native then that's all it runs.
>> When you set a different resolution in xorg.config then software or
>> hardware has to make a conversion to the native resolution of the
>> display. This is different than an old style analog monitor that just
>> changed how fast it painted pixels and could change the real
>> resolution. Anyway, the reason I bring this up is I find it best to
>> first set the monitor up using whatever the actual resolution of the
>> monitor is and try running that resolution for a few days. If you're
>> happy with it then stick with it as it's the best picture quality and
>> the lower system overhead.
>>
>> Whatever you do I'm sure you'll be happy.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Mark
>
> Congratz Dave, and thanks Mark.
> I just replaced my old 15" (or 17"?) CRT with a flat one of the same
> size but can't get anything above 1024 out of it. Maybe that's just the
> hardware limit?
> Configuring monitors in ubuntu hardy heron with a practically empty
> xorg.conf is even more fun than it used to be.. hooray for
> 'simplification'.
> /end rant
> have fun
>        Philipp

I think our 17" and 19" Samsungs both do 1280x1024. Certainly you
might have one that only does 1024x768 but that seems like it would be
an older piece of hardware.

If you can supply and exact make and model number then we can probably
search it out over the net.

How did you decide it won't do anything larger?

- Mark