[LAU] monitor shot, cables

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Tue Jul 15 12:08:03 EDT 2008

On Tue, Jul 15, 2008 at 8:55 AM, Dave Phillips <dlphillips at woh.rr.com> wrote:
> Mark Knecht wrote:
>> ... it's (thankfully)
>> getting difficult to even buy an analog monitor anymore. We bought a
>> PC a year ago and Fry's was giving away 17" analog monitors for free
>> with the purchase. Stupid me I brought the thing home and it sits in
>> the garage gather dust unopened.
> I'll keep my Trinitron around, maybe for a dual-head system, but I'm
> looking forward to getting my Samsung 2253BW later this week. I ordered
> it yesterday. :)
>
> Btw, I went to Staples to find a DVI cable. Hoho, they wanted $73.95 for
> a Belkin cable ! Needless to say, I did not buy from them, but I did
> purchase a $10 Monster cable from the same place I ordered the Samsung
> monitor.
>
> Again, my thanks to everyone who pitched in their advice and opinions,
> you have all been most helpful. :)
>
> Best,
>
> dp

Yeah, sometimes the cost of these cables is just silly. I bought a
Roku NetFlix player a few weeks ago. when it arrived it turned out I
hadn't purchased any additional cables thinking I had some extra
component video cables already. I didn't so I took a drive to Radio
Shack, the only electronics store here in town, to find out they
wanted $40.

The MythTV guys turned me on to MonoPrice.com where I bought 6 foot
component cables - three 6-foot coaxials in a bundle - for $2.18 each.
Since shipping was $4 I bough 3 just on the principle that the
material should cost more than shipping.

Cheers,
Mark