[LAU] OpenMoko FreeRunner and Real Time Kernel

Rui Nuno Capela rncbc at rncbc.org
Wed Jul 16 03:14:57 EDT 2008

On Tue, July 15, 2008 20:02, Ken Restivo wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 11:48:18PM +0100, Rui Nuno Capela wrote:
>
>> Florian Schmidt wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Ken,

>>> ^^^^^The version string shows it though :)

>> i'm afraid you're betting on the wrong horse :)
>>
>> you could have patched it alright (no doubt about that) and also set
>> EXTRAVERSION with the "-rt1-1" suffix, but, unless you've set
>> CONFIG_PREEMPT_RT=y you're not running a full-preeept RT kernel, that's
>> for sure.
>>
>> afaict, when one talks about a RT linux kernel, he/she's meaning that
>> CONFIG_PREEMPT_RT=y and then, trust me, the "RT" will appear in the
>> `uname -a` line output.
>>

> On my laptop, CONFIG_PREEMPT_RT is set, but no "RT" appears in the uname
> -a line.

strange.

> It's definitely a RT kernel. I've been running it for a year now.

dunno when that "RT" got in the uname -a line, but one other way for you
to check that your kernel is _actually_ a full real-time preempt kernel is
for seeing the existence of the irq service handler threads like this (as
root)

  ps -ef | grep -i IRQ

check that out, not that it makes a difference other than a point
--
rncbc aka Rui Nuno Capela
rncbc at rncbc.org