[LAU] headphones

Florin Andrei florin at andrei.myip.org
Thu Jul 17 17:54:22 EDT 2008

Mark Knecht wrote:

> for bass practice the 7506's are going to work out great, but they
> aren't the perfect set of headphones. Surprise - none will be perfect

Previously I was speaking in general. But on the particular topic of
listening to bass, I would appreciate some more insight, since I'm not a
bass player.
So, if you're practising bass guitar, do you want your headphones to
emphasize bass, or do you want them to be flat?

A lot of the phones mentioned here are flat, or even a bit light on the
bass side. Most of the Sennheiser, the AKG K 240, to some degree the
Grado - all these are pretty flat, they don't emphasize anything, or not
in the bass range at least.

I only know of one phone that is very accurate and has a pretty full
bass - the Beyerdynamic DT 880, but at $320 it's beyond the price range
mentioned by the OP.

So, do you want the bass over-emphasized when practising it?

(OTOH, if the phone is accurate, even if it has a thin bass, I guess it
can be corrected in the preamp. But again, I'm not a bass player.)

--
Florin Andrei

http://florin.myip.org/