[LAU] make my bassguitar sound good

Brett McCoy idragosani at gmail.com
Sat Jul 19 11:19:55 EDT 2008

On Sat, Jul 19, 2008 at 11:15 AM, Mark Knecht <markknecht at gmail.com> wrote:

> Mostly it's just me, and I'm not a bass player but I own two, but to
> me it's mostly about gentle EQ. I find I cannot change the real nature
> of the instrument itself but rather can just move it a bit in the
> direction I want it to go.

When I record bass, I go through a tube pre-amp (like one of the ART
ones) and then direct into the board (in my case, a Hammerfall RME
interface). A tiny bit of EQ or compression helps also, although the
tube pre-amp add some nice warm tube compression and even a tad bit of
overdrive. A little bit of flange/phase shift or chorus can add a
little character to the tone also, as long as it isn't overdone. But
the latter can be added in post, so you can adjust to taste without
ruining the original (nothing worse than getting a perfect take only
to find out you had too much flange or something that can't be removed
later).

-- Brett