[LAU] headphones

Florin Andrei florin at andrei.myip.org
Mon Jul 21 03:55:52 EDT 2008

Arnold Krille wrote:

> I think truly flat responses is impossible with headphones. Just compare the
> sizes of your more-or-less flat response studio speakers and the size of the
> average headphone. A speaker with a diameter of only a couple of cm has its
> resonance never in the range the bass-driver of your studio-speakers. So you
> have to do several design-tricks to try to equalize the response. And that
> with the limited amount of space. It is a wonder these headphones sound as
> good as they do. (And most cheap one and even a lot of not-so-cheap ones
> sound like crap...)

Actually, in purely technical terms it's easier to make good phones than
it is to make good speakers.

The problem with the phones is not technical, it's more related to
perception. The phone sound is unnatural. It has no meaningful
information regarding direction. The bass does no resonate in your
chest. Etc. etc.

Technically it's cleaner, more "flat" or whatever you wanna call it. But
a natural sound you can only get from speakers.

--
Florin Andrei

http://florin.myip.org/