[LAU] JACK with many soundcards

Adrien DANIEL adrien.daniel at gmail.com
Mon Jul 28 11:51:23 EDT 2008

Thank you very much, that seems to come up to my expectations !

I take advantage of this thread to explain my thoughts.

I was thinking about, for instance, an electric guitar with a built-in
ADC, that could be plugged in a computer via a USB (or Firewire)
cable, the guitar being recognized as a 'snd-usb-audio' device under
the system. With this view in mind, it might be useful to get many
"digital" instruments like that, as well as a DAC, all available in a
single JACK server.

Will JACK2 be able to handle this ? I mean, you run jack2_start, and
all the available (and desired) peripherals appear in the connections.
:)

I suppose that it raises many issues like synchronization between
different physical peripherals. Handling many peripherals as separated
devices might not be optimal compared to one single device with
multiple inputs/outputs, as well. And actually I am not sure this idea
is really essential... :)

That was just a view of a weird future where several people plug all
their USB guitar directly into a single computer, and do not even need
to make use of a guitar amp. What a wonderful future of digital music
I am painting here ! Forget it ! :D

Adrien