[LAU] monitor update, brief

Joe Hartley jh at brainiac.com
Tue Jul 29 11:49:58 EDT 2008

On Tue, 29 Jul 2008 08:24:12 -0700
"Mark Knecht" <markknecht at gmail.com> wrote:
> Dave Phillips wrote:
> > Just a quick update note re: the Westinghouse monitor. Flickering
> > occurred in three vertical bands that would make the hashing in an xterm
> > slider appear to be shimmering, an annoying effect that I thought
> > warranted taking the unit back to Best Buy. But first I decided to try a
> > few fixes, and while fooling around with the monitor controls I came
> > across an Auto Adjust that eliminated the flicker entirely.
>
> My machines are all dual boot. I often find that when switching the
> other other OS that running the Auto Adjust helps with lots of little
> problems.

I have run into the exact xterm slider artifact as Dave.  I found that
the auto adjust gave me varying results, until I ran it in conjunction
with a program that I got with one of my monitors along the line that
displays a fine grid.  Apparently what the monitor displays at the time
you run the auto adjust makes a huge difference in the result.

Googling for AutoPattern.exe will lead you to a few locations this file
can be found.  It's a Windoze executable but has always run fine for me
under WINE.

       Joe Hartley - UNIX/network Consultant - jh at brainiac.com