[LAU] Trying to get rid of xruns

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Thu Jul 31 00:22:36 EDT 2008

On Wed, Jul 30, 2008 at 7:13 PM, Matthew Smith <matt at smiffytech.com> wrote:
> Hi Folks
>
> After a long (15 years) break in music making/recording, I have just set
> myself up with a new virtual studio - bit of a culture shock when all my
> previous experience was analogue plus Notator on an Atari.

Welcome back!

> I'm running Gentoo Linux (x86_64) on a dual-core ThinkPad with 1.5Gb
> RAM.  To save unnecessary processing overhead and because I like a
> 'clean' desktop, I am using the Fluxbox window manager.

Good choices.

<SNIP>
> At the end of dmesg, there seem to be a lot of errors or warnings -
> don't know if they're significant.  I've put them here:
> <http://www.smiffysplace.com/files/dmesg_rt_20080731>
> (For some reason, the top bit of dmesg got lost - hope this doesn't
> matter.  Can re-create if required.)
>
> Kernel config is here:
> <http://www.smiffysplace.com/files/kconfig_rt_20080731>

These are *absolutely* an issue and must be solved before you can
really move forward on the xrun problem. Solving this issue may
eliminate your xruns. Won't know until we get there.

I would look into joining the linux-rt-users email list and post the
bugs there. One of those folks will have a good idea what's going on
and what kernel config options are probably kicking it off. Even if
you find it yourself and eliminate it they will still want the info.

Good luck,
Mark