[LAU] JACK with many soundcards

Patrick Shirkey pshirkey at boosthardware.com
Thu Jul 31 23:28:04 EDT 2008

Joe Hartley wrote:
> On Thu, 31 Jul 2008 11:12:24 -0400
> Paul Davis <paul at linuxaudiosystems.com> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 2008-07-31 at 16:30 +0200, Adrien DANIEL wrote:
>>
>>> So, the solution would be a bit more complicated, but resembles what I
>>> proposed in my second post with USB : Firewire ADC for each
>>> instrument, and a Firewire DAC, such that everyone is kept
>>> synchronized.
>>>
>> No, the solution is to forget about decentralizing A/D and instead plug
>> the analog cables into a central (bank of) A/D's which then feed a
>> single multichannel audio interface (of which there are several to
>> choose from).
>>

> I second this.  I really don't see the need or even usefulness for a
> guitar to have a Firewire, USB or Ethernet port, and I'd hate like hell to
> have my guitar run into driver issues witn my computer system!
>
> Getting a guitar to have an output level suitable for plugging into a
> soundcard (especially one like my Delta 1010 with the -4/+10 dB input
> switch) is a trivial thing.  Getting a 1010, or something like a Focusrite
> Saffire to handle the A/D conversion on a number of inputs is a lot less
> complicated, and ultimately I'd think less expensive, than a number of
> smaller separate units.

While Joe and Paul might not like this idea I can see a million rock
band addicts who might be very comfortable with a usb guitar or even a
full band.

I think this idea has potential and we should not close the doors to the
possibility of it being jackified just because it sounds like hard work
and you can see a miriad of reasons not to do it.

Cheers.

--
Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware Ltd.