[LAU] OT: Double bass (Kontrabass) Recommended listening.

Loki Davison loki.davison at gmail.com
Fri Jun 6 01:53:41 EDT 2008

On Fri, Jun 6, 2008 at 2:43 PM, Brad Fuller <bradallenfuller at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 5, 2008 at 7:01 PM, Loki Davison <loki.davison at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>> I recently bought a double bass and am loving it. Fun to play and
>> amazing sound with fingers and bow.  I will be looking for a teacher
>> soon but first and foremost i'm looking for some good stuff to listen
>> too! I'm really enjoying Willie Dixons stuff and a few tracks by
>> Freundeskries (german hiphop) and Donovan. What else is good? I'd love
>> to here tracks in a range of style both bow and fingers.
>>

> Loki,
>
> It depends on what you would like to pursue first. Is it jazz, for instance?
> Unforutnately, there are a small number of classical pieces written
> for the bass and even less recorded. You find a lot of information
> about jazz bass players. For instance, Scott LaFaro (who died young,
> but can be found on recordings before his death in '61.) Get the Bill
> Evans Village Vanguard sessions. Heck, you can also hear him on
> youtube, but the recordings aren't so good. I could give you a list of
> jazz players to pursue, but first what is your focus?
>
> brad

Well... the key issue with what i want to pursue is, it's not Jazz ;)
Blues, soul, reggae, hiphop, rock, folk. I understand the importance
of Jazz as many of the artist i love are inspired by and love Jazz but
i'm just not that into it myself yet. Though i do quite like Willie
Dixon's stuff like bassology that's a bit more bluesy jazz or jazzy
blues ;) I guess Jazz is fine as long as it's somewhat corrupted/mixed
by some other style ;) I think i'd like to start out in areas i'm more
comfortable in and expand out to Jazz/classical. ;)

Loki