[LAU] Low sound problem under Hardy only (not Gutsy)

Christian Einfeldt einfeldt at gmail.com
Fri Jun 6 02:15:08 EDT 2008

hi

I am running 32 bit Hardy (GNOME) on a machine I call the TeraByte Beast
(tbb), but the sound is misbehaving. It is playing very low, despite the
fact that I have turned up the volume on both the applications that are
playing sound, as well as the system sound in the upper right had corner.  I
can play commercial music CDs and YouTube but I cannot play my own footage
with either vlc, movie player (Totem), Mplayer, Kino, Kaffeine, or Firefox
streaming the footage from the Internet Archive. When I do attempt to play a
video, the sound is once again very low on just my own footage (.ogg and
.mpg) under those six movie players. Here is a sample of the footage that I
am talking about. Left click on the first link on the left under play /
download:

http://www.archive.org/details/e-dv034_01_heather_baker_002.ogg

I am able to hear that footage well when I watch that footage on my hard
drive under Gutsy or stream it from the Archive under Gutsy, but I am not
able to hear it well under Hardy. The volume is low under Hardy.

I have tried running the sound test in System > Preferences > sound, and
that works okay for three of the four tests there: Sound events > Sound
playback; Music and Movies > Sound playback; Audio Conferencing > Sound
playback; but the test for Audio Conferencing > Sound capture does not work
at all.  All of the fields there are set for alsa.

I have tried installing gnome-alsamixer and alsamixergui as recommended in
this thread:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=5125954&posted=1#post5125954

Two days ago, I updated Hardy, and that solved the problem.  Then, the
problem spontaneously returned.  I tried applying today's Hardy update, but
that did not work.

Sound capture is currently set for ALSA, and the Default Mixer Tracks is set
for HDA ATI SB.

The output of

$ cat /etc/modprobe.d/also-base

is here:

http://pastebin.ca/1039186

The output of cat /proc/asound/version is here:

cje at tbb:~$ cat /proc/asound/version
Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version 1.0.16.
Compiled on May 6 2008 for kernel 2.6.24-17-rt (SMP).
cje at tbb:~$

Thanks in advance for any help.

see ya

--