[LAU] Audio editor for editing a 90-minute-long file?

Arnold Krille arnold at arnoldarts.de
Thu Jun 12 03:39:49 EDT 2008

Am Donnerstag, 12. Juni 2008 schrieb Ken Restivo:
> Good call on Ardour; I probably would have had the easiest time working
> with this file in Ardour. Ardour is sweet. But for just editing one long
> audio file, it seemed a bit like overkill. Also, I'd be too tempted to
> overdub onto it, which is a no-no for a live recording :-)

There are actually very good reasons to use ardour for post-processing of
live-recordings:
 - Its completely non-destructive, even if you slice your 2-hour-file into
10-seconds snippets and rearrange them and delete them one-by-one, you still
don't loose the material. Yes, you should have backups, but who knows...
 - Its _very_ easy to apply mastering effects over the whole session. (And
with the jamin-control-plugin you can change settings between songs.)
 - And all editing on effects and automation is non-destructive too. That is
very nice compared to clicking "apply effect (silence)", having the computer
work for ten minutes and the realize that a) its the wrong effect and b)
the "create undo" wasn't selected.
 - ardour is definitely not trying to load the whole 2-hour file into ram...

Arnold
--
visit http://www.arnoldarts.de/
---