[LAU] Audio editor for editing a 90-minute-long file?

drew Roberts zotz at 100jamz.com
Thu Jun 12 16:14:39 EDT 2008

On Thursday 12 June 2008 13:47:32 Jesse Chappell wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 3:39 AM, Arnold Krille <arnold at arnoldarts.de> wrote:
> > Am Donnerstag, 12. Juni 2008 schrieb Ken Restivo:
> >> Good call on Ardour; I probably would have had the easiest time working
> >> with this file in Ardour. Ardour is sweet. But for just editing one long
> >> audio file, it seemed a bit like overkill. Also, I'd be too tempted to
> >> overdub onto it, which is a no-no for a live recording :-)
> >
> > There are actually very good reasons to use ardour for post-processing of
> > live-recordings:
> >  - Its completely non-destructive, even if you slice your 2-hour-file
> > into 10-seconds snippets and rearrange them and delete them one-by-one,
> > you still don't loose the material. Yes, you should have backups, but who
> > knows... - Its _very_ easy to apply mastering effects over the whole
> > session. (And with the jamin-control-plugin you can change settings
> > between songs.) - And all editing on effects and automation is
> > non-destructive too. That is very nice compared to clicking "apply effect
> > (silence)", having the computer work for ten minutes and the realize that
> > a) its the wrong effect and b) the "create undo" wasn't selected.
> >  - ardour is definitely not trying to load the whole 2-hour file into
> > ram...
>
> Don't forget the CD markers -> TOC export for creating CDs easily with
> Ardour.  Works great for live CDs where you want to add track
> boundaries with no gaps for disk-at-once burning.

Yes, and I use this for making CDs from practices and gigs all the time,
but...

There are minow issues if your gig is longer than a single CD. I have filed
something about this here:

http://ardour.org/node/1832

but so far no comment or response.

I posted my current workaround here:

http://ardour.org/node/1833

If I am being dense here and someone knows of a proper way that ardour can
handle this now, I am all ears.

> jlc

all the best,

drew