[LAU] Slightly OT: Re-Installing GRUB

Christopher Stamper christopherstamper at gmail.com
Sat Jun 14 10:03:39 EDT 2008

It's kinda OT, but I really need some help and this is the most active forum
I know of.

I've been running a dual-boot system: Ubuntu Studio and Window$ XP. Of
course, Windows needs reinstalled every month because of 'problems', so I
just finished a reinstall.

The problem is, it re-wrote my MBR and put its dumb boot loader in. Now my
pc will only boot windows, because GRUB is no longer in the MBR.

My drive looks like this:

hd0,0: Windows
hd0,1: swap
hd0,2: Studio

So I need to have GRUB in (hd0,0)'s MBR to boot. When I try "grub-install
/dev/sda0" it install grub. However, using the chainloader on (hd0,0) causes
grub to start *again *instead of windows, thus causing an endless loop.

So I need to install it in the MBR without messing with the boot sector, I
think. (I've done the dos command fixmbr and fixboot, so now windows boots
and linux wont again.)

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

(I'm not at all worried about messing with my MBR)

--
Christopher Stamper

Email: christopherstamper at gmail.com
Web: http://tinyurl.com/2ooncg