[LAU] interactive performance

Atte André Jensen atte.jensen at gmail.com
Mon Jun 23 16:57:05 EDT 2008

Hi

I just brainstormed with a friend and came up with the idea of
integrating the audience in my chuck based electronica performance. All
of the music is parameterized anyways, and since chuck understands OSC,
I thought this might not be so difficult. I do realize that it's not
easy though, especially since I have no experience with this.

So I'm looking for some way to let the audience affect "something" that
sends data to chuck (preferably by osc). Hopefully something that'll
allow a crows (at least more than a handful) of people to interact in a
way that they can actually recognize they're in fact affecting the
music, although no in a precise, "solo-instrumentalist" kind of way,
more of a collective gesture.

I googled a bit, but didn't hit anything useful (maybe because I don't
know how to ask), so did anyone here try something similar? Any tips,
hints, software, approaches, not-tos, links, whatever would be highly
appreciated.

Anyways a few thoughts:

1) Something that reads from an usb-device and sends OSC would (I think)
be easiest to handle.

2) I keep coming back to a web-cam based solution, since it's easy to
carry and setup + all tweaking is done in software, as opposed to
building some huge, DIY hardware controller. We already have a VJ, so e
could project some of the input to provide visual feedback to the audience.

3) Another possibility is using some of the other ready-to-use,
mass-produced (= cheap) controllers readily available, like a dance-mat
(although that is limiting the amount of people able to interact with
the system at the same time). Are there any obvious devices I should
look into?

--
peace, love & harmony
Atte