[LAU] Laptop Sound Adapter for Ripping my Vinyl Album Collection

Justin Smith noisesmith at gmail.com
Fri Jun 27 17:41:19 EDT 2008

On Fri, Jun 27, 2008 at 2:08 PM, Kevin Cosgrove <kevinc at cosgroves.us> wrote:

> On 27 June 2008 at 22:10, "Martin Horn" <martin.horn at ostec.org> wrote:
>
>> You can get a Soundblaster Audigy PCMCIA for less than 100 $
>> I think, it got just one input but the quality of record and
>> playback is fine. You also have 5.1 or 7.1 output or so with
>> that if you need it later. I think its supported by alsa as
>> well.
>
> I'm nervous about internal cards, even PCMCIA w/o a breakout box,
> being noisy.
>
>> The MAudio Fasttrack I can recommend as well regarding the
>> quality, but just for recording in wav quality with 2 channels
>> there are cheaper solutions which will work...
>
> Which flavor of Fasttrack do you have?  The models I see are
> "USB", "Pro", "Ultra" and "Ultra 8R".  The last two look
> comparable to the Delta 1010.  The "Pro" version retails for
> $199.  The "USB" version is around $149 (all this is US$) but
> it's max sample rate is 48kHz whereas the others are all 96kHz.
>
> The Tascam US-144 is around $144 US, and claimed by the ALSA
> matrix to work.
>
> Thanks....
>
> --
> Kevin

I have an indigo dj pcmcia, and my only complaint is that I cannot use
it with my current favorite laptop (old ibook g3 with no pcmcia slot).
I had no issues with noise levels (pcmcia cards are very well shielded
and grounded). If all you need is something that sounds about as good
as the record player, any $30 usb 1 (which will work with any usb 1 or
2 port) soundcard is just about guaranteed to work with the
snd_usb_audio driver and many of them have rca cable inputs. Of course
your latency will be a bit high and sound quality less than perfect,
but the flac files should sound at least as good as your turntable
after capture.