[LAU] connect qjackctl - synth - rosegarden

Joe Hartley jh at brainiac.com
Tue Mar 4 09:33:38 EST 2008

On Tue, 04 Mar 2008 14:13:01 +0100
schoappied <schoappied at gmail.com> wrote:
> I want to make music with rosegarden and play that realtime. I want to
> load a soundfont and use a synth to play it.

I jsut worked through this process over the weekend for my son, who is
composing a piece for his high school senior project!

The Rosegarden FAQ goes into this, but here's what I did:
Start JACK.
Start QSynth
Load a soundfont into QSynth.  (There are a lot of good General MIDI
soundfonts available at Hammersound ( http://www.hammersound.com/cgi-bin/soundlink.pl )
Start Rosegarden
In QJackCtl's Connect window, in the MIDI tab, connect Rosegarden's MIDI
out to Qsynth's MIDI in.  In the Audio tab, connect QSynth's outputs to
your usual output - usually alsa_pcm playback 1 & 2.

That should do it for you.

       Joe Hartley - UNIX/network Consultant - jh at brainiac.com