[LAU] qsynth: errors / what a waste of time :(

schoappied schoappied at gmail.com
Thu Mar 6 09:01:07 EST 2008

Shelagh Manton wrote:
> On Wed, 05 Mar 2008 10:23:47 +0100
> schoappied <schoappied at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> Shelagh Manton wrote:

>>> "service" is  a redhat thang. Use /etc/init.d/timidity stop instead.

>>> timidity has a jack option..
>>>
>>> timidity -iA -Oj  #-iA using Alsa and -Oj outputting to jackd
>>>
>>> This may make timidity play nice with all your jack toys.
>>>
>>> Shelagh

> Have her look at this page.
>
> http://www.musicbyandrew.ca/finale-lilypond-1.html
>
> Which is by someone who uses finale and tried lilypond.

> Dirk, I have had problems as I have an on-board soundcard and "another"
> (which is too embarrassingly old to mention on this venerable list) and
> I had to tell jack specifically to use hw:1 not the onboard card.
> Do you have an extra sound-card confusing things?
>
> Has anyone asked you to try this command?
>
> lsmod | grep snd
>
> If you send the result to this list, someone might be able to help you.
>
> But I can tell you that it *is* possible to have jackd, timidity (using
> jack output) qsynth and rosegarden running together as I've done it on
> my box which runs ubuntu.
>
> Shelagh
>
> PS my /etc/modules file does not have snd-seq-midi listed. Go figure.

>> What is waste of time is this. Unbelievable that I can't make a
>> simple synth to work... Very irritating.
>>
>> Thanks Shelagh for your reply, but I'll still get:
>>

>> *': Failed to create the MIDI driver (alsa_seq). No MIDI input will
>> be available.'
>>
>> *LEt me explain again what I want. I want to work on Ubuntu with
>> qjackctl > qsynth > rosegarden. I also want to work with other apps
>> like noteedit, zynadd... etc. (qjackctl is running fine). * *- Please
>> explain to me what AND why I've to load in my /etc/modules on Ubuntu.
>> - What is snd-seq, snd-seq-midi? Should I load them both, what is the
>> difference and should I use snd-seq or snd_seq? Should I also load
>> timidity on my /etc/modules?
>> - Can I use just one midi player (snd-seq or timidity) for all my
>> programs eg noteedit, qsynth, qjackctl, rosegarden etc.?
>> - Is there maybe something wrong with my audio/ midi configuration on
>> Ubuntu? (I don't talk about midi hardware).
>> - Are there specific things/ settings I should notice when I connect
>> qsynth to qjackctl?
>> - Is there another synth comparable with qsynth?
>>
>> It seems to me that the way audio is organized on linux is a little
>> bit unorganized and complex... But maybe I'm in a bad period or so...
>>
>> Kind regards,
>>
>> Dirk

As I said, only engine 1 is not working.... You can see that in the
messages displayed by qsynth.
e at ubuntu:~$ lsmod | grep snd
snd_rtctimer            4384  1
snd_intel8x0           34844  1
snd_ac97_codec        100772  1 snd_intel8x0
ac97_bus                3456  1 snd_ac97_codec
snd_pcm_oss            44928  0
snd_mixer_oss          17664  1 snd_pcm_oss
snd_pcm                80644  3 snd_intel8x0,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm_oss
snd_seq_dummy           4740  0
snd_seq_oss            33792  0
snd_seq_midi            9600  0
snd_rawmidi            25728  1 snd_seq_midi
snd_seq_midi_event      8576  2 snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi
snd_seq                54128  7
snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi,snd_seq_midi_event
snd_timer              24324  3 snd_rtctimer,snd_pcm,snd_seq
snd_seq_device          9228  5
snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq
snd                    55172  13
snd_intel8x0,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_pcm,snd_seq_oss,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq,snd_timer,snd_seq_device
soundcore               9312  1 snd
snd_page_alloc         11400  2 snd_intel8x0,snd_pcm
qsynth messages:

13:38:55.455 Qsynth1: Creating audio driver (jack)...
13:38:55.581 Qsynth1: Creating MIDI router (alsa_seq)...
13:38:55.582 Qsynth1: Creating MIDI driver (alsa_seq)...
*13:38:55.615 Qsynth1: Failed to create the MIDI driver (alsa_seq). No
MIDI input will be available.
JACK tmpdir identified as [/dev/shm]
ALSA lib seq.c:935:(snd_seq_open_noupdate) Unknown SEQ snd-seq
fluidsynth: error: Error opening ALSA sequencer*
13:38:57.874 Qsynth1: Creating MIDI player...
13:38:57.874 Qsynth1: fluid_synth_program_reset()
13:38:57.892 Qsynth1: Synthesizer engine started.
13:38:57.894 Qsynth2: Creating synthesizer engine...
13:38:58.022 Qsynth2: Loading soundfont:
"/home/japke/Muziek/Soundfonts/jRhodes3.sf2" (bank offset 0)...
13:39:01.347 Qsynth2: Creating audio driver (jack)...
13:39:01.468 Qsynth2: Creating MIDI router (alsa_seq)...
13:39:01.468 Qsynth2: Creating MIDI driver (alsa_seq)...
13:39:01.530 Qsynth2: Creating MIDI player...

Dirk