[LAU] Many identical cards - how to keep them straight

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Sun Mar 9 18:44:21 EDT 2008

Hi,
   I'm aware of and use standard Alsa methods to keep different sound
cards in the same system straight as far as Alsa is concerned. I'm
wondering what the proper process would be to keep 3 HDSP9652's which
are physically in the same system, or multiple USB sound devices
external to the system, straight as far as Alsa is concerned. I'd like
to know that a certain card always will be always be card 0, card 1 or
card 2. I do not want Alsa or Linux to make this decision for me and I
certainly don't want Alsa to change them from boot cycle to boot
cycle.

   What's the process to determine which identical card is which? Do
you need to determine some sort of card specific hardware ID and then
write udev rules or is there some way to do this within Alsa?

Thanks,
Mark