[LAU] dynamic backing tracks

Atte André Jensen atte.jensen at gmail.com
Wed Mar 12 06:01:14 EDT 2008

Hi

I'm gonna play live with my electronica project, and now I'm looking for
some software that'll allow me to playback all the stuff the band can't
do in a more dynamic way than using mp3-files...

A few examples of what the music sounds like:

http://modlys.dk/holde_pkt.mp3
http://modlys.dk/du_er.mp3

The band consists of
* Laptop
* Keyboards
* Upright Bass
* Vocals

I'm playing keyboards as much as possible. Hopefully the laptop will be
controlled by someone else, otherwise that's me as well.

Initially I planned on doing the tracks in chuck. That'd allow nice
dynamic things like turn-a-knob and the tracks gets more sparse and
other algoritmic stuff with randomness going on. I did alot of chucking
(not livecoding) and implemented some tests that suggests that this is
works very well but it tedious to program, difficult to control live
(which is the main problem) and a bit risky (that's how I feel at least)
in a live setting.

Another option would be freewheelin. That's not nearly as dynamic, but
might be a lot easier to control and should be much more stable.

What other options are there?

I've never used ableton live (I only run linux), but everybody who's not
running linux is raving about it and I guess that could do it. So the
last solution could be to run that somehow (through wine or wmware).

Oh, and one final thing. I once say someone using the lemur
(http://www.jazzmutant.com/lemur_overview.php) which I unfortunately
cannot afford. But with a lemur I feel I could use chuck controlled by
osc. So thinking in those directions (controllers) what options are
there that'll 1) allow me to grab/press a knob *and* 2) have visual
feedback (like "pressing this button will take you to the C-part" *and*
3) work with linux.

--
peace, love & harmony
Atte