[LAU] loud noise out of external soundcard in the bandroom when AC-powered

Arnold Krille arnold at arnoldarts.de
Mon Mar 17 12:11:27 EDT 2008

Am Montag, 17. März 2008 schrieb Matthias Schönborn:
> Thanks for all the information! My soundcard has two balanced 1/4" TRS
> Outputs, and I think I'll make some TRS cables where the ground is not
> connected on one side. Does it matter if the input on the mixer are
> balanced or unbalanced?

Yes, that does matter. When that mixer has unbalanced inputs (on the
TRS-plugs, XLR is always balanced) it will not work. Because unbalanced means
the signal is carried with respect to the earth. No earth, no signal.
Better prepare your cables with TRS-jack on the soundcards site and XLR on the
mixers side.
I am in the process of building such cables myself...

> I don't know if that's the case or not because it's
> not my mixer. I'm really looking forward to eliminating this freaking
> noise!

Well, all mixers I know have balanced XLR inputs. And many but not all mixers
I know have balanced TRS. Better make cables with male-XLR-plugs for your
output...

Arnold
--
visit http://www.arnoldarts.de/