[LAU] Realtime Kernel

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Tue Mar 18 15:49:37 EDT 2008

There is really no reason that I know of that you cannot build this
kernel yourself. It's not horribly difficult once you've done it a few
times. It can be quite daunting when you're up to bat for the first
time though. the trick is understanding what driver modules you are
using and making sure all of those are included in the configuration
of your new kernel. Once you get past that step it's just a matter of
adding a new option in the grub config file and trying it out.

>From the RTWiki these are the commands to download and patch a kernel:

# wget ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6/linux-2.6.23.1.tar.bz2
# wget http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/projects/rt/patch-2.6.23.1-rt11.bz2
# tar xfj linux-2.6.23.1.tar.bz2
# cd linux-2.6.23.1
# bzcat2 ../patch-2.6.23.1-rt11.bz2 | patch -p1

The above is for 2.6.23. If you were going to do it you might as well
go for 2.6.24.

Changing the kernel itself should not cause any changes in the
stability of your applications. They really exist at a higher level
and just talk to the kernel underneath it. If a new minor revision
kernel upgrade breaks an application I think it would generally be
considered a regression in the kernel and would get fixed. I have
kernels ranging back to 2.6.14. they all work.

Hope this helps,
Mark