[LAU] New User

Nigel Henry cave.dnb2m97pp at aliceadsl.fr
Wed Mar 19 18:34:48 EDT 2008

On Wednesday 19 March 2008 21:52, Cesare Marilungo wrote:
> Mark Knecht wrote:
> >> Al Thompson wrote:
> >>  > Hi all.  I'm new here so I figured I'd introduce myself.
> >
> > Hi.
> >
> > <SNIP>
> >
> >>  > Is there a way to prevent the mixer from being made the default (and
> >>  > only) audio device if I happen to mistakenly leave it connected?  And
> >>  > what happened to my PCM devices?
> >
> > In general, yes, but not so much by 'preventing' the mixer from being
> > the default device as much as making the built in sound card the
> > default.
> >
> > This is a bit distro specific but where ever you set up your Alsa
> > modules you can set which sound card is considered the default. On my
> > system it looks like this:
> >
> > alias snd-card-0 snd-intel8x0
> > options snd-intel8x0 index=0
> > alias snd-card-1 snd-hdsp
> > options snd-hdsp index=1
> >
> > I presume that you probably have a driver for the internal device and
> > maybe USB-audio for the mixer. Just set the USB as 1 and the built in
> > as 0 and you should be good to go.
> >
> > Hope this helps,
> > Mark
>
> Hi Mark,
> what if you want to control the order of two different devices both usb
> (and so both handled by the snd-usb-audio module? In particular I have
> an usb audio interface and usb keyboard which is recognized as an audio
> device (even if it doesn't have audio functionalities). The order
> switches randomly at each reboot.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> -c.

Hi Cesare. Searching through my various mailbox's, I found this posted by
Clemens Ladisch (alsa developer).
<quote>
This alone doesn't work when multiple devices are handled by the same driver.

The snd-usb-audio has a "pid" parameter to specify that a device with a
certain product ID should go to a specifc index.  For example,

        options snd-usb-audio index=1,2 pid=0x1234,0x5678

would force the device with product ID 1234 to come first.
Vendor and product IDs can be listed with lsusb.
<end quote>

Obviously you need to change the pid's to your actual pid's for your usb
devices, then the usb devices should always be loaded in the same order.

All the best.

Nigel.