[LAU] what's the difference between debian and ubuntu

Atte André Jensen atte.jensen at gmail.com
Thu Mar 20 15:05:58 EDT 2008

Hermann Meyer wrote:

> I am a debian user to. So I cant say what's the difference between. But it let
> me think on my new harddrive that I switch on last day's. First it drives me
> creasy. I get xrun's all few minutes. I realease that I am forget to turn on
> dma for the harddrive.

I read about this before but never had to deal with it, would be
surprised if ubuntu was being silly about this. But here's the results
(same disc, different naming):

Debian:
$ sudo hdparm -Tt /dev/hda
/dev/hda:
  Timing cached reads:   866 MB in  2.00 seconds = 432.89 MB/sec
  Timing buffered disk reads:  138 MB in  3.03 seconds =  45.54 MB/sec

Ubuntu:
$ sudo hdparm -Tt /dev/sda
/dev/sda:
  Timing cached reads:   890 MB in  2.00 seconds = 444.18 MB/sec
  Timing buffered disk reads:  138 MB in  3.04 seconds =  45.45 MB/sec

So, it must be something else...

--
peace, love & harmony
Atte