[LAU] Configuration for a FREE professionnal studio : your minds about my proposal

Esben Stien b0ef at esben-stien.name
Thu Mar 20 19:56:39 EDT 2008

Aurelien <orl at ammd.net> writes:

> Proc: we were going on a dual core (Intel or AMD)

AMD, as their design is better, though the architecture is the same, of
course. I don't know if newer Intel chips still inhibits the denormal
problems. Anyone?.

> RAM

Well, what latency RAM?. I'm used to CAS latency of 2, but that seems
non existant with newer chips. Has someone done a review of DDR2/DDR3
latency and what is the chip with the lowest latency available?.

> Motherboard

TYAN, of course. Not only because it's the top of the line from the
compu hut, but also because you can run coreboot on the BIOS, f.ex
making it dead simple to configure IRQs' and other tunings.

> Hard Drives: we think about a SATA drive for system

Nono. You said you wanted to do this right, so SATA is out of the
question. Get a low latency SCSI HD with high MTBF, like this one 2ms
latency drive:

http://www.fujitsu.com/us/services/computing/storage/hdd/enterprise/mba3300-15k-rpm.html

> RME Multiface II

I got the RME Multiface, but we all know that the converters that
Apogee uses are better;).

--
Esben Stien is b0ef at e     s      a
         http://www. s     t    n m