[LAU] Pre-License change LinuxSampler code

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Thu May 1 19:59:32 EDT 2008

To whomever it might concern,

   I was moving 1394 drives around from machine to machine today and
ran across an old (March, 2005) CVS download of the LinuxSampler code
that I apparently checked out. I took a look at the COPYING file in
each of the main directories (libgig, liblscp, linuxsampler &
qsampler) and they do not (apparently) have any license modifications
for 'commercial' products although I didn't read in any depth.

   Should anyone out there want to work SERIOUSLY with this code then
please feel free to get in touch with me to talk about it. If you are
a casual user of LinuxSampler then just stick with the normal, newer
and probably far more advanced version that the LinuxSampler team
provides. The purpose of this fork is a commitment to GPL.

   My only requirements in providing this code are:

1) Some sort of ongoing SourceForge or other publicly available
location for the project needs to be created and maintained by a small
group of project managers committed to the project. Responsibilities
and duties to be agreed upon.

2) The license for this fork must remain completely GPL forever.
Should someone want to make a commercial product from this fork then
the license should allow them to at least try. I expect they will run
into the same issues, whatever they were, that the original
LinuxSampler team had, but I do not want the license for this code to
prohibit them from trying and at least we'll get the issues out on the
table publicly.

3) An agreement to manage a transfer of responsibilities to a new
program manager should the need arise.

   Again, I do NOT guarantee that this fork is completely GPL. I
scanned the document and compared it to the language on the
LinuxSampler web site concerning the license change. It does not seem
that that language is included in this file so I *think* it's clean.
We will review that in depth if someone is serious about moving
forward.

Cheers,
Mark