[LAU] [LAA] Qtractor 0.1.3 (frugal damsel) released!

Rui Nuno Capela rncbc at rncbc.org
Fri May 2 15:21:39 EDT 2008

Mark Knecht wrote:
>    I somehow missed this announcement the first time it came out or
> didn't pay enough attention. So you've managed to get pitch shifting
> into a Linux-based loop player?!?! Exciting. I've been waiting for
> this since 1999! I'll have to give qtractor a serious look?
>
>    The power of the commercial progs like Acid Pro, Ableton, FL, etc.,
> is that I can drop in loops and they are automatically set to the
> tempo of the session. Does qtractor do this? If I have loops recorded
> at 136BPM and I'm doing a 119BPM session is the default pitch as
> recorded and the default tempo 119?

hmmm, not that automagic as you say :)

first, pitch-shifting has nothing to do with tempo. time-stretching does.

time-stretching has been around in qtractor since,... erm, last previous
release ;)

however, you now get the option to choose between rubberband
time-stretching (which is high quality, sonic-wise) and plain
wsola-based soundtouch which is pretty damn fast but lousy on
not-so-extreme stretch factors.

the automatic thing, if you choose to call it that way, is that you can
apply time-streching to all audio clips as soon you change the (global)
session tempo

otherwise, you can adjust the tempo of each audio clip by dragging the
edges to proportion, by pressing the shift/control key while  pressing
the mouse left button (without that, you'll be just changing the clip
length, not its tempo character, got it?)

you see, all that depends on the current session tempo and on each audio
clip length, and else, while editing the clip (Edit/Clip/Edit) you can
subvert all that as real (wo)man :)

gosh. i'm terrible with english :(
--
rncbc aka Rui Nuno Capela