[LAU] reiser4.... has it a place for audio?

cdr _ at whats-your.name
Fri May 2 19:53:22 EDT 2008

> > These days the choice of filesystem should make no significant
> > difference.  Certainly it won't matter if an -rt kernel is used.
> >

> Well, doesn't reiserfs use quite a lot more cpu than ext3? I think
> that may make a significant difference...

yes., at least reiser4.

it also gets things done (untarring) much faster as well, at the price of occasional:

'freezes' for 1/2 to 2 seconds from time to time (completely unacceptable for audio)

during delayed tree balancing or block writing/allocation or something

also rm -rf is very slow.

for certain niche cases, its a fantastic filesystem.

unless youre creating hundreds/thousands of files a minute (eg, busy Maildir host, or VFS-backed database that dont use a monolithic file (a la git, not berk or MySQL)), i wouldnt bother..