[LAU] [LAA] Qtractor 0.1.3 (frugal damsel) released!

Rui Nuno Capela rncbc at rncbc.org
Sat May 3 09:12:52 EDT 2008

Mark Knecht wrote:
> On Fri, May 2, 2008 at 12:21 PM, Rui Nuno Capela <rncbc at rncbc.org> wrote:
> <SNIP>
>
>>  otherwise, you can adjust the tempo of each audio clip by dragging the
>> edges to proportion, by pressing the shift/control key while  pressing the
>> mouse left button (without that, you'll be just changing the clip length,
>> not its tempo character, got it?)
>
> Ah, OK. That's a bit different than the default in Acid Pro but I'm
> sure it's completely reasonable once you get used to it.
>
> For info only - Acid Pro automatically adjusts the tempo of every loop
> making an assumption that every loop used in a session should conform
> to the tempo of the session. This is sensible (to me anyway) because
> 99.999% of the time I want my drums and guitars to be in sync no
> matter what tempo a specific the loop was recorded at. So, for at
> least the basic work flow the only thing you deal with by hand is
> pitch.

qtractor's workflow as to arrange loops in the time-line might be a bit
different from acid or any other specialized app, so to speak. i really
don't know 'coz i don't use any other app for that purpose (not surprise
here, as i *do* use qtractor exclusively at home--just paraphrasing the
evil empire: i really do eat my own dogfood;)

> As for edge dragging, in Acid this allows you to play a portion of a
> loop. If I place a loop in a session the tempo is adjusted
> automatically and I hear the whole loop. If I drag the left edge to
> the right I lose the front part of the loop. If I drag the right edge
> to the left I lose the last part of the loop. There are ways to drag
> the loop to an out-of-sync point if you want but I don't use it much,
> really only for beat slicing where they have better tools in the
> editor.

when you import (or drop) a new audio file into the qtractor time-line,
it's always assumed that the new clip is in tempo with the current
session. if you find it is not the case, you can trim and/or
(time-)stretch the clip until you see fit. take a tour:

- to trim the clip you can simply select (cf. Edit/Select Mode/Range,
Rectangle) over either edge and press the Delete key (Edit/Delete). you
can also drag with the mouse either clip edge to the desired start/end
location, making it shorter or even longer (silence will be heard if the
clip is longer than the file it represents:). remember, if you're *not*
pressing the shift/ctrl key modifiers you're actually trimming or
extending the clip.

- to stretch the clip to current session tempo you can shift-drag either
  clip edge, so that the whole clip length fits/snaps to one or more
bars. or to whatever you se it's the right stretch proportion.

once all audio clips are settled this way you can change the session
tempo globally and all audio clips will be re-stretched automatically
(check View/Options/Audio/Playback/Automatic time-stretching)

>>  you see, all that depends on the current session tempo and on each audio
>> clip length, and else, while editing the clip (Edit/Clip/Edit) you can
>> subvert all that as real (wo)man :)

P.S.:

> A sia saide,
> Mark
>
> (If I got that wrong blame the Internet. I hope that meant cheers!)

ah, i belive the correct writing would be:

   "À sua saúde"

meaning, in plain english:

   "To yours" ("good health" implicitly)

byee